Women's hormones fluctuate during: Puberty, Menstruation, Taking oral contraceptive, pregnancy and lactation and menopause. The actual fluctuation of hormones does not cause the periodontal disease, but will cause and exaggerated response to oral irritants like plaque and calculus (tartar). Managing a regular oral care routine and dental hygiene visits will help keep this response under control.
Maintenance and home care to consider:
- Brushing twice a day
- Flossing at least once a day
- Regular hygiene visits recommended by your health care provider
- A well balanced diet
- Mouth wash
- And for patients with dry mouth, saliva substitutes and other alleviating products.
- Provides regular oral screenings for issues
- Reviews medication risks and health history
- Helps develop a custom home care program
- Referrals as needed
- And of course, helps keep oral conditions favorable through regular dental cleaning
Role of your dental hygienist: